The Avs needed to demonstrate some resiliency after getting smoked Friday in Vegas and they came through. MacKinnon and Rantanen were dominant in the first 27 minutes of the game, each scoring a pair of goals and an assist and eventually leading to a 6-3 victory.
From the opening puck drop to Sven Andrighetto’s goal 6:44 in to the 2nd period the Avs CF was a +22/-14 or 61%. After that score effects took over and they managed only a +12/-36 (25%), which isn’t optimum but the game wasn’t honestly in question. Down the road that needs to be cleaned up but a young & depleted lineup vs a skilled veteran team makes for some tough moments. I’ll put some of this on the coaching staff because a lot of the younger or more offensively inclined players were not used much later in the game.
They only players with positive CF overall were Barrie and Mironov, who were not highly used in the 2nd half of the game.
Top forwards at 5v5 were Dutch, Sven and Mack then Soderberg’s line. The 4th line trailed with Yakupov low man on the team at 5:31.
Top Ds were EJ and Lindholm then Barrie/Nemeth quite a ways back of that. Miro played more than you would think at 9:40 and 11:22 overall.
Soderberg’s line plus Nemeth & Barberio had noticeable increase in shifts for the 3rd period while everyone else decreased or played as usual.
– Mack & Mikko at 2G/1A each were studs. Mack had 7 SOG, impressive after averaging 1.8 per game so far this year. Keep it up guys!
– Sven Andrighetto had a sneaky good game away from his usual partners on the 1st, a goal and assist just like his new linemate Rocco Grimaldi. Somehow Matt Duchene avoided getting a point or even a shot on goal lined up with those two.
– Andrei Mironov played his 1st game since opening night, which I would describe as better but not better enough. He was visibly lost a few times and took a rare clipping penalty. I don’t think the hit was dirty or even a penalty by the book but it’s going to get called in the NHL. If he does that on the boards I think he’ll be ok but in open ice it’s pretty much a guaranteed call plus it’s going to take him completely out of the play most of the time. The staff had to give him a shot but at this point Bigras and Zadorov are just plain better than he is. He really needs to go to the AHL for a while if they want to make an NHL D out of him.
– Jon Bernier had a great game saving 39/42 and withstanding the turtle admirably.
Burgundy Narrative Metric
– “Best guys being your best guys” gets a (+)² Really good performance by the core
– Corsi gets an (even) despite looking ugly overall they dominated when it mattered
– Power Play gets a (+) 2 goals in 5 tries, nice job!
– Turtle gets a (-) and it was a big turtle
– Varly% gets a (+) Jon Bernier gets this by proxy
– Referee Oppression Index gets an (even) but I’d complain about a few calls anyway
/ / / / / /
Avs are off until Thursday vs the Hurricanes